The Electric Nation Project: Connecting Tribal Nations With Vital Regional Services to Promote a Clean Energy Economy
The Electric Nation project benefits members and fleets of Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, Red Lake Nation and 21 additional Native Nations in Minnesota, North Dakota and South Dakota.
Electric Nation utilizes United States Department of Energy funding to increase access to electric vehicles (EVs) and their charging stations, thus providing Native communities with equitable access to clean, affordable transportation in addition to the economic and environmental advantages uniquely created by clean energy technology.
Native Sun Community Power Development, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Minnesota Power, Otter Tail Power Company and Xcel Energy are working together to electrify highways serving local Tribal communities, as well as add EV chargers to the Native American National and State Scenic Byway and other routes that are heavily traveled by Native communities.
By growing public familiarity with clean transportation options and establishing EV corridors connecting rural Reservations and multi-family communities to key medical, educational and retail destinations, ElectricNation will:
- Deploy commercial, passenger and transit EVs plus related equipment to test and demonstrate their efficacy in rural areas
- Catalyze energy self-determination and create new job opportunities
- Expand access to benefits of electrified transportation to more Tribal members
Electric Nation will create a sustainable ecosystem and expand EV access by:
- Providing equitable access to clean, affordable transportation in multi-family housing and rural, underserved Tribal communities
- Installing 59 DC fast charging units on Reservations and their vital travel routes
- Installing 63 Level 2 EV supply equipment points at community gathering spots, multi-family dwellings, Tribal colleges and other destinations
- Deploying 16 light-duty electric vehicles, an electric shuttle and two electric school buses
- Developing two new workforce training programs for Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and Red Lake Nation members
- Engaging in 52 events to engage and educate Tribal members, auto dealership sales staff and first responders
- Documenting energy savings, emissions reductions and EVs’ impact on Tribal members
Electric Nation Partners
- American Lung Association
- Center for Energy and Environment
- Connexus Capital
- eFormative Options
- Minnesota Clean Cities Coalition
- Native Sun Community Power Development
- North Dakota Clean Cities
- Standing Rock (“SAGE”) Renewable Energy Power Authority
EV transportation is the pathway to a cleaner future. Please visit electricnation.info to learn more about the value of investment in EV infrastructure.